|2 cups Sooji (Semolina) Coarse||1/2 cup Butter (Unsalted)|
|2/3 cup Vegetable Oil||2 cups Sugar|
|3 cups water||4-5 Green Elaichi ( Cardamom)|
|1/4 cup Blanched almond slivers (opt.)|
Makes about 5-7 servings.
- Heat Oil and Butter on medium heat in large pan until butter melts
- Crack Cardamom Pods and add to pan- fry until it crackles
- Add in Sooji and mix well immediately
- Continue frying Sooji until it turns golden in color and becomes fragrant (~5-7 min)
**Important– Mix well and very frequently (almost continuously) as to avoid burning and allowing for even cooking.
- Remove from heat
- Add in sugar and mix VERY WELL for several minutes to combine sugar throughout. At this point mixture should be dry and crumbly
- Return to medium heat and add water
- Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes until water gets almost absorbed.
- After about 5 minutes mix well to avoid sticking, and add almonds if using.
- Let Cool slightly and serve warm
- I like my halwa dry but my husband prefers it to be a little runny, so I usually take some out for him a few minutes earlier, before the water is completely absorbed. It tastes just as delicious!
- Turn heat off before water is completely absorbed as it will continue to cook and set as the vessel cools.