|1 ½ cup whole black lentils (washed and picked over)||½ cup Packaged Crispy Fried Onions|
|1 ½ tsp salt||10 cups water|
|1 ½ tsp red chilli powder||1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste|
|1 tsp coriander powder||½ cup Canned Diced Tomatoes in Tomato Juice|
|1 tsp cumin seeds|
|For tempering (Tarka) optional for traditional Daal taste:|
|2 Tbsp Oil||1 inch piece of Ginger- Chopped|
|2 cloves of Garlic –chopped||½ Serrano or Jalapeño- Chopped|
- Spray your crockpot with cooking spray or line with crockpot liner
- Place all ingredients (except the 4 specified for Tempering) in the crockpot
- Stir well
- Cook on High for 5 hours
- In small frying pan, Heat up oil on medium heat
Ready to eat as soup!
For traditional Daal taste follow steps for Tempering:
- Add all ingredients for tempering and fry until garlic is golden ( be careful this will cook pretty fast and garlic will go from golden to dark really quick)
- Add this fried mixture to the Lentils and mix well
- Garnish with more green chillis, cilantro, or butter and serve Hot with Naan or on its own!
Note: For additional heat either add 1 tsp of Garam Masala once cooked or at the time of tempering add additional red chilli powder to the oil AFTER the garlic is golden….give it a quick mix (frying the red chilli powder for too long will burn it) and pour entire mixture into your lentils.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator once cool.