|For Daal Prep||For Masala:|
|3/4th cups Whole Urad Daal washed||4 tbsp. butter or ghee|
|1/4th cups Red Kidney Beans washed||1 medium onion thinly sliced|
|6 cups Water||4 Roma tomatoes|
|½ tsp salt||1 tsp Ginger paste|
|1 tsp red chilli||1 tsp Garlic paste|
|½ tsp Ginger paste||1 tsp salt|
|½ tsp Garlic paste||½ Jalapeño finely chopped|
|½ cup cream|
|*additional butter for serving||½ tsp garam masala|
|½ tsp dry fenugreek (methi)|
|2 cups water|
- Add all Daal prep ingredients in a crockpot and leave on high for 5 hours (8 hours on low) or until kidney beans are completely tender. You want them to be soft enough to mash with the back of a spoon.
You can boil the daal in whichever way you care comfortable. Pressure cooker, crockpot, or soaked overnight and boiled on the stove. I used the crockpot and they came out great.
- In large pan, melt butter on medium heat
- Add onions and fry until golden. Remove pan from heat
- Strain out onions and place in blender ( or food processor) with tomatoes and puree
- Return pureed mixture to pan and return to stove
- Add jalapeño, 1 tsp salt, ginger paste, and garlic paste to pan, and on medium heat fry mixture until it darkens slightly and the oil separates from it. (About 6 minutes) Stir every couple minutes to avoid sticking to pan. (Keep lid on in between stirring as the mixture will splatter)
- Strain daal (Retain the water. You should have about 2 cups of liquid remaining )
- Reduce heat and Add lentils to pan and using the back of cooking spoon mash approximately 3/4th of the lentils.
- Add leftover water from crockpot and an additional 2 cups
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the cream and garam masala and cover again for 10 minutes.
- Can add more cream and garam masala according to taste.
- At this time if the daal seems too runny then increase heat and let it thicken until desired consistency is achieved.
- Reduce heat to low, add Methi and cover for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a small amount of butter in individual servings and serve with hot naan
This daal can be made a day in advance as it reheats very well. Just be sure to leave a little excess liquid as it will thicken as it cools.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.